Re: [SLE] /var/log/boot.log is 0 bytes
  • From: Ken Schneider <suse-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 28 Mar 2005 21:28:49 -0500
On Mon, 2005-03-28 at 21:01 -0500, Lawrence Bowie wrote:

> Andreas Philipp wrote:
>
> >Felix,
> >
> >El Lun 28 Mar 2005 20:39, Felix Miata escribió:
> >

> >>I have 8.2 installed on 2 systems. This file is dated 26 Sep 2003 and 0
> >>bytes on both. Isn't this file supposed to be a mirror of the messages
> >>that flash on screen during boot? How do I enable saving boot messages
> >>to this file? On my Mandrake systems this is apparently enabled by
> >>default.
> >>

> >On my 8.2 systems there is no /var/log/boot.log file at all; maybe I have
> >wiped it from the disks long ago, I don't remember. The boot messages are
> >in /var/log/boot.msg.
> >
> >Regards,

So what does syslog (logs of a running system) have to do with the boot
log (boot.msg, log of the boot messages only). They are different log
files for two different processes.

Please do not top post ( putting your answer before the question ) this
isn't jeopardy.

boot.msg is for what happens during the boot process
only, /var/log/messages is for log file for what takes place while the
system is running ( after the boot process ).

--
Ken Schneider

* Only reply to the list please*