Problems Building from Source
  • From: Lucky Leavell <susemisc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 29 Mar 2005 10:02:42 -0500 (EST)
I recently had to rebuild both courier-imap and postfix from source to
include support for MySQL. Although both are currently working, I have
encountered several problems:

1. I downloaded courier-imap-3.0.7-3.3.src.rpm but when I built
the binary RPMs, they were created as (non-root user)
courier-imap-3.0.7-1.suse920.i586.rpm and show up as v3.0.7-1
in YaST. The spec file contains the correct 3.0.7-3.3 version.
The postfix version remained postfix-2.1.5-3.2 though I had
to manually search the SuSE FTP site to find the v3.2 source.

2. The installed binaries of courier-imap-3.0.7-1 are NOT marked
with an "-i-" in YaST and hence YoU attempts to update them
which would then overwrite the MySQL support. I tried to change
or remove them from YoU but was unable to change the "Action"
column. This means I can no longer use YoU at all unless I
want to reinstall all binaries created from source afterwards.

Questions/Suggestions:

1. How can I remove binaries created from source from YoU, i.e.,
manually force them to "-i-" or at least override YoU insistence
on updating them?

2. How can I correct the version number in courier-imap?

3. Suggestion: When SuSE builds binaries, why not go for an
"everything but the kitchen sink" approach, such as including
MySQL and PostgreSQL support, thus enabling them to remain
properly updateable via YoU? (When I rebuilt courier-imap to
include MySQL, it created an additional binary RPM:
courier-imap-mysql-3.0.7-1.suse920.i586.rpm which seems to be
a good approach should I decide to install an "everything but
the kitchen sink" binary but do not want, for example, MySQL
support.)

Thank you,
Lucky Leavell

  • No further messages