Re: [SLE] help with Boot messages wanted
  • From: "Carlos E. R." <robin1.listas@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 31 Mar 2005 01:41:03 +0200 (CEST)

The Wednesday 2005-03-30 at 19:27 +0200, Hylton Conacher (ZR1HPC) wrote:

> > > <6>Partition check:
> > > <6> hda: hda1 hda2 hda3
> > > <4>hda: dma_intr: status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error }
> > > <4>hda: dma_intr: error=0x84 { DriveStatusError BadCRC }
> [snip]
> >
> > Continuous, or only once, during boot? The latest, some people seems to get
> > similar messages. Perhaps not important, the kernel trying something. If it
> > then says dma dissabled, then there is a problem. If you get more, yes,
> > worry.
> Phil, I do not want to alarm you but, Carlos, Is it possible these boot
> messages are coming from smartctl? That the drive may actually be failing?

I don't think so, for two reasons. One, is that syslog would prepend the
word "smartd" somewhere. The other is that the log above is from the boot
sequence, at a point where only the kernel is running (and nod complete,
still loading modules). It is the point where the kernel is looking at
what partitions are there.

Yes, there could be an error with the disks, and those messages could be a
symptom. But it could be simply an incompatibility between the kernel and
the hard disk. It can be that the kernel is probing things, and something
fails. Normally it would then use some other method, but as it has already
logged it, the user is flabbergasted with logs entries we don't
understand: that's why I said that, if they don't continue appearing, it
is probably nothing important. I think...

--
Cheers,
Carlos Robinson

< Previous Next >