Re: [SLE] switch user GUI missing
  • From: Andreas Philipp <andreas.philipp@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 31 Mar 2005 13:48:34 -0500
Paul,

I have experienced this problem in the past, and out of this experience I
might be able to suggest one more thing to look at, if you already have made
sure that your XSessions file has all necessary entries. But please take into
account that I am still running SuSE 8.2, recently updated to kDE 3.4.

El Jue 31 Mar 2005 13:23, Paul Cartwright escribió:
> ok, so far, no suggestions have helped, I'm still missing the ability
> to switch users from the menu. I have Lock session and log out, but no
> switch user, and I haven't found any control center menus to turn it
> on.

Have a look at the /var/run/xdmctl directory. This is where the desktop
manager process writes its socket file, so it is writable for root, with 755
permission flags set. Become root, change into the directory an try to write
a file ('touch abc'). I have once experienced I/O-errors in this directory
when trying to create a new file, presumably through ReiserFS-related
problems. When I wasn't able to create a file in this directory, I just
renamed it (I couldn't delete it, either) and created a new directory xdmctl.
This made the KDE switch user menu entry reappear, after restarting kdm
('rcdkm restart' as root).

It's a far shot, but who knows - maybe you've inherited my bad luck of old.

Regards,
--
Andreas Philipp
Noema Ltda.