Re: [SLE] Use of PERSISTENT_NAME
  • From: "Anders Johansson" <andjoh@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 31 Mar 2005 22:41:30 +0200
On Thursday 31 March 2005 18:49, Aldrik KLEBER wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm trying to use Shorewall on a Suse 9.2 box, with 2 Ethernet device.
> I must precise the device name, but eth0 and eth1 is swapping.
>
> Reading the mailing-list, i saw the option PERSISTENT_NAME for my ifcfg-XXX
> files.
>
> When I tried ti set en0 and en1 to name my ethernet card, my cards still be
> named eth0 and eth1 allocated in a random order.
>
> Someone can explain me where is my error ?

You can't use eth style names as PERSISTENT. Call them 'internal' and
'external', or 'mutt' and 'jeff', but don't use eth0 and eth1.

Then you can use the names you give them in your rules and the system will
understand them. They will *still* be called eth0 and eth1 as well, but you
won't have to care