Re: [SLE] mouse/trackball cleaning (OT)
  • From: "Carlos E. R." <robin1.listas@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 1 Feb 2005 12:10:20 +0100

On 2005-01-30 16:44, Jeffrey L. Taylor wrote:

Optical mice are fine if you do not play action games, e.g. Quake.
They cannot track really fast mouse movements. Unless the newest
generation is a lot faster. My desktop came with an optical mouse,
one Q3A game and I traded it for my wife's mechanical mouse. She's
happy, no cleaning. I'm happy, no ending up staring at the game sky
while trying to dodge incoming, unfriendly fire.

I have a logitech trackman marble+, an optical trackball, and it works fine. However, I have found that, at lest on all suse linux versions I tried, it can not track fast mouse movements - but I know it is not a hardware problem, because windows can track it as fast as I can move it: therefore, it is a linux software problem somewhere.

But it is not only optical mice: my other machine, with a normal mouse, has the same problem. Both plug to the ps/2 port (/dev/psaux). A serial mouse worked faster, but I wanted the comm port free.

--
Cheers,
Carlos Robinson