Re: [SLE] Log files not compressing
  • From: "Hipolito A. Gonzalez M." <hgonzale@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 01 Feb 2005 19:03:56 -0400
Dan wrote:

Hi all!
I have just noticed a problem with my logs files. Usually they are automatically compressed (gziped) regularly (usually every second day) depending on how large they are. However I have just noticed that they have stopped being compressed, so my logs are HUGE. The last time they were compressed was on the November 23.
My /var/log/mail is now 58 mbs
my /var/log/httpd/access_log is a whopping 1168 mbs
my /var/log/httpd/error_log is a huge 768 mbs.

The problem is that I don't know much about this process at all. I assume that it is a cronjob that automatically compresses the logs.
How do I restart the compressing process?

Thanks in advance, and regards from Denmark!
Dan Eskildsen

I have a similar problem, but is no deleting the old files
I have rotate 5 and i have 40 or 50 files
Why is no deleting it?
I don't have nothing in the logs. Is compressing good, after +10000k, but is no delenting!!!!

Una prensa libre es el gran enemigo de los dictadores.
Independientemente de sus abusos, sus debilidades, sus
errores. Una prensa libre es la gran aliada y defensora
de la democracia.

Charlos S. Shapiro
Embajador de USA en la Rep. de Venezuela
Martes, 20 de Mayo 2003

  • No further messages