USB to serial Cable under SuSE 9.2
  • From: Paul Penrod <ppenrod@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 01 Feb 2005 17:31:31 -0700
Folks,

I'm a bit stumped here and hope someone has seen this before.

I just bought a USB->serial cable from PCClub. It's advertised
as a USB 2.0 Certified Interface (usbview diagrees with that), and
SuSE does recognize it, but I can not get minicom to talk to it.
When I set it to /dev/ttyUSB0 or any USB tagged port, it comes
back and complains that the port is not found.

I have it plugged into the top USB slot of the laptop.

What I need it for is to configure telecom equipment that uses
serial ports for the interface (VT100 9600/N/8/1). I've been playing
with this for about a day and need to move on or get it to work.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. I'll even buy a different cable if
there is one proven to work.

Thanks,

...Paul

Here are the particulars:

OS SuSE 9.2 (updated 1/31/05 from the Chicago Site).
Kernel: Stock SuSE 2.6.8-24.11
Computer: IBM Thinkpad T42p 1GB memory, 60GB disk

USBview output:
USB SERIAL CANSERTOR
Manufacturer: FIDI
Serial Number: FTBT8RZI