Re: [SLE] mouse/trackball cleaning (OT)
  • From: Doug McGarrett <dmcgarrett@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 01 Feb 2005 22:57:01 -0500
I looked at the Microsoft trackball, and it is a thumb-ball.
That's not what I'm looking for. However, I did find a
Kensington optical trackball, and ordered it. I will
get back to the group when I get it, and report. (I
am not a gamer, however, and if it's a bit on the slow side,
I'll probably never know.) Thanx to all who responded.

On another note, the people who make the Mouse-trak stuff have
finally cut their prices. I had a couple of their track-balls
many years ago, and used them until I wore them out. They were
very durable. They were expensive then, and still are, but not
like they were 8 or 9 years ago, when they were absolutely
prohibitive. These are not optical, but they really work well.
I have a message in to them asking whether the 3rd button can
be programmed to emulate pushing the left and right button, so
as to paste in Linux, but I'm almost sure the answer will be yes,
since they specifically call out Unix as a supported OS.

Will report back on the answer.

One other note: all mice and trackballs are somewhat optical;
the little wheels with the holes in them at the ends of the axles
that the mouse/track ball drives send an interrupted optical
signal to the detectors that tell the computer how far the mouse
has gone, and in which direction. It's really fairly sophisticated
electronics for a simple and low-cost device. If cleaning the
mouse or t/b, make sure there is no gunk in the unit that the
little wheel turns in.

--doug