Re: [SLE] Sound Card Still Squealing Away [still no joy]
  • From: "Ed Harrison" <eharrison@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 2 Feb 2005 06:30:58 -0500
** Reply to message from david rankin <drankin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> on Tue, 01 Feb
2005 23:40:52 -0600

> I still can't get the soundcard to quick squealing/buzzing under suse 9.2.
> I'm running out of things to try. Anybody have any other thoughts? Details
> below:

I had the same problem early on with an upgrade of KDE, where the problem
appeared, but not in Gnome.

My card is an Ensoniq AC97 (ENS1371), which also uses module snd_ac97_codec;
and, I also have an onboard chip that I disabled in BIOS.

The solution was to start an alsa mixer (but may work with kmix also) and
disable IEC958-2 -- IEC958 is okay.

Squealing stopped immediately, but returned unexpectedly several times. For
some reason KDE would reactivate that setting.

I now use Gnome only, no more KDE for me.

Hope your problem turns out to be related, then you can let me know how to make
the change permanent.

Ed Harrison
SuSE 9.1, Kernel 2.6.9-vanilla
PolarBar Mailer 1.25a