Re: [SLE] mouse/trackball cleaning (OT)
  • From: "Carlos E. R." <robin1.listas@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 2 Feb 2005 13:28:26 +0100 (CET)

The Tuesday 2005-02-01 at 22:57 -0500, Doug McGarrett wrote:

> I have a message in to them asking whether the 3rd button can
> be programmed to emulate pushing the left and right button, so
> as to paste in Linux, but I'm almost sure the answer will be yes,
> since they specifically call out Unix as a supported OS.

You probably can do that with some configuration tweaking in
/etc/X11/XF86Config or in kde or gnome.

> One other note: all mice and trackballs are somewhat optical;
> the little wheels with the holes in them at the ends of the axles
> that the mouse/track ball drives send an interrupted optical
> signal to the detectors that tell the computer how far the mouse
> has gone, and in which direction.

Correct. Like relative motion sensors (not sure of the english name) used
for motor positioning.

> It's really fairly sophisticated
> electronics for a simple and low-cost device. If cleaning the
> mouse or t/b, make sure there is no gunk in the unit that the
> little wheel turns in.

The kind that reads the ball directly is more reliable in the presence of
dirt.

--
Cheers,
Carlos Robinson