Re: [SLE] mouse/trackball cleaning (OT)
  • From: Bruce Marshall <bmarsh@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 2 Feb 2005 11:29:16 -0500
On Tuesday 01 February 2005 10:57 pm, Doug McGarrett wrote:
> I looked at the Microsoft trackball, and it is a thumb-ball.
> That's not what I'm looking for. However, I did find a
> Kensington optical trackball, and ordered it. I will
> get back to the group when I get it, and report. (I
> am not a gamer, however, and if it's a bit on the slow side,
> I'll probably never know.) Thanx to all who responded.

I would be very interested in what you think of it. I have a ton of
Kensington expert mice around here because I really like the large ball.
Unfortunately they don't make so that they can be taken apart anymore... and
they *do* need to be cleaned. So I will not buy any more Expert Mice.

> On another note, the people who make the Mouse-trak stuff have
> finally cut their prices. I had a couple of their track-balls
> many years ago, and used them until I wore them out. They were
> very durable. They were expensive then, and still are, but not
> like they were 8 or 9 years ago, when they were absolutely
> prohibitive. These are not optical, but they really work well.
> I have a message in to them asking whether the 3rd button can
> be programmed to emulate pushing the left and right button, so
> as to paste in Linux, but I'm almost sure the answer will be yes,
> since they specifically call out Unix as a supported OS.
>
> Will report back on the answer.

Interested in this too.