Re: [SLE] mouse/trackball cleaning (OT)
  • From: mikus@xxxxxxx (Mikus Grinbergs)
  • Date: Wed, 02 Feb 2005 12:53:51 -0600
On Wed, 2 Feb 2005 11:29:16 -0500 Bruce Marshall <bmarsh@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Tuesday 01 February 2005 10:57 pm, Doug McGarrett wrote:
> > I looked at the Microsoft trackball, and it is a thumb-ball.
> > That's not what I'm looking for. However, I did find a
> > Kensington optical trackball, and ordered it. I will
> > get back to the group when I get it, and report. (I
> > am not a gamer, however, and if it's a bit on the slow side,
> > I'll probably never know.) Thanx to all who responded.
> >

> I would be very interested in what you think of it. I have a ton of
> Kensington expert mice around here because I really like the large ball.
> Unfortunately they don't make so that they can be taken apart anymore... and
> they *do* need to be cleaned. So I will not buy any more Expert Mice.

Hmmm. I have several quite recent model K64325 Expert Mice
(the ones with the "scroll ring"). There is no mechanical
connection between the large ball and the motion sensors.
In use, the large ball rests on three tiny fixed supports.
But the large ball *does* come out of its socket, so that
when needed, lint can be removed from around these supports.
I doubt that one would need to take things further apart.

mikus