Re: [SLE] SuSE9.2 - kernel: Losing some ticks...checking if CPU frequency changed.
  • From: "B. Stia" <usr@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 2 Feb 2005 18:02:30 -0500
On Wednesday 02 February 2005 15:49, Mario Ohnewald wrote:
> On Wed, 2005-02-02 at 20:21, Darryl Gregorash wrote:
> > Mario Ohnewald wrote:
> > >Hello List,
> > >
> > >i have a K7S8X ASROCK motherboard, 256MB ram and an AMD Duron
> > > 1.6Ghz. When i try to install suse9.2 from a FTP-DVD, i get this
> > > error on tty4 and it freezes:
> > > kernel: Losing some ticks...checking if CPU frequency changed.

Mario,
For your info, and don't know if this could be the problem. I used to
get the exact same message on my boot message. Further on down I would
get a "many lost ticks" message. Found it trying to troubleshoot
wildly varying time settings. Turned out to be the motherboard. Was
brand new. Complained to the manufacturer and they replaced it
(different brand of mobo than yours) No problems since then. Hope
that's not your problem. Just so you know.

Bob S.

> > >I have already tried apci=off and SafeSettings.
> > >Then i loaded the default Bios settings, and took out my PCI
> > > modem, disabled onboard Audio and Lan.
> > >Memtest ran 12h and its ok.
> > >Has anyone ideas how i could solve this?!
> > >FTP or NFS install freezes with the same error.
> >
> > Whenever someone has a weird error that doesn't seem to have a
> > cause, I always suggest trying a new power supply. If the voltage
> > at the clock generator has fallen too low, as with any solid state
> > device, its performance will become erratic, and lost ticks is the
> > first thing I would expect to see.
>
> stillt he same error, with a diffrent power supply.
> It always freezes when it has done 99% or 100% or formating the
> partitions.
>
> Any further ideas?
>
> Thanks, Mario

< Previous Next >