Re: [SLE] Missing xterm
  • From: Jerry Feldman <gaf@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 3 Feb 2005 13:34:22 -0500
On Thursday 03 February 2005 13:01, Brad Bourn wrote:

> As far as I know, xterm would be like notepad for winDOZE, should be on
> just about all machines with X by default, at least with SuSE anyway.
> The fact that it 'disappeared' is worrysome. This is what I call a "poke
> in the eye". Your system is telling you that there is some greater
> problem happing and if you simply re-install xterm or use another
> program, your not necessarily fixing the problem, more band-aiding the
> effects. Could be something like your harddrive is dying, or worse.....
Normally, xterm is in /usr/X11R6/bin/
/usr/bin/xterm is a symlink to it.

I have never seen an X Windows based system that did not have the basic X
Windows tools, such as xterm.

I do agree with Brad in that if it is missing, there is something wrong. I
doubt you are having a hard drive failure, but something or someone may
have inadvertently removed some stuff.
--
Jerry Feldman <gaf@xxxxxxx>
Boston Linux and Unix user group