Re: [SLE] kicked out of graphical boot mode
  • From: Randall R Schulz <rschulz@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 4 Feb 2005 11:07:46 -0800
Hello again,

On Friday 04 February 2005 10:26, Randall R Schulz wrote:
> G,
>
> You need to pay more attention to the warning signs your computer is
> giving you. It's (mostly) an electronic device. Odd noises--screeches
> and clicks, e.g.--are never normal. Had you paid attention earlier,
> you probably could have saved yourself considerable grief.

I had an interesting experience a couple of weeks back. As I sat working
at my computer I occassionally heard a very faint, raspy screeching
kind of sound. It was hard to localize, but was not coming from any of
the computer components. When I tracked it down, it turned out the plug
for the outlet strip had fallen most of the way out of the wall socket
and was apparently arcing. All the computer system components drew
power through that outlet strip but none of them were malfunctioning,
as far as I could tell. I assume that had I not caught it when I did,
the plug would have fallen the rest of the way out and at least caused
a power failure (I don't have a UPS). It's also possible the power
could have become intermittent, which can be pretty bad for electronic
devices. I guess I'm lucky it happened while I was around to notice it
(the system runs 24/7).

Randall Schulz

< Previous Next >