Re: [SLE] SATA drives - What is good or not good.
  • From: Jeffrey Laramie <suse-linux-e@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 4 Feb 2005 17:04:04 -0500
On Friday 04 February 2005 16:34, Robert A. Rawlinson wrote:
> I am helping my grandson build a system for doing CAD. He was looking at a
> WD Caviar 200GB drive that was on sale. I seem to remember a discussion
> here that said some people had problems with them or perhaps it was another
> brand or model. My old memory is not so good anymore (my memory not the
> computer).
> Does anyone know or have comments.
> Bob Rawlinson

Yes, I had problems with that model. It has advanced vibration control
features that are not supported correctly on AMD x86_64 systems (at least
that's what I read). I simply passed "noapic" to the kernel at boot and it
turned off the offending feature. I have a pair of them in a SATA array and
they work great now.

Jeff