9.2 scsi install: no fstab found
  • From: Jim Osborn <jimo@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 5 Feb 2005 01:05:52 -0800
The Yast installer seems able to detect my hardware, and load the
applicable modules, in particular the sym53c8xx SCSI driver for
my adapter. All my disk partitions from my two disks are listed,
but their types are all called "unknown". Selecting my root
partition, sda7, manually doesn't help.

Console 4 has lots of errors about SCSI parity, bus resets, etc.,
as though the driver is mishandling the adapter somehow. There
are lots of other interesting (maybe) messages on some of the
other consoles, but I can't think of any way to capture them.

FWIW, when I first booted from the 9.2 CD #1, a box popped up
asking me to insert modules disk 2, to which I clicked "back"
in lieu of hitting the reset button (not having made a modules
disk 2). The installation seemed to proceed from there, to
the point where it could tell me the things mentioned above.
When I finally told the graphical installer to abort, it put
me back into linuxrc, so I checked what modules it had loaded.
The sym53c8xx module was there, as well as several other SCSI
modules. I removed the SCSI CD module, since my CD is EIDE,
and things like Reiserfs and ext3 which I don't use. There
remained a "mid-level SCSI" and a "disk driver" module, which
I assume are needed by the sym53c8xx driver, but I'm not sure.

Does anyone have any suggestions what to try next? Does this
SCSI driver need some parameters in the 2.6 kernel? If so,
how would I give them to the installer?

I assume I don't really need to make a fleet of floppies to
do the install, since I can boot from the CD drive, and in
the thrashing I did, I seemed to get a list of installed modules.

Many TIA,

Jim