Re: [SLE] PC running (SuSE 8.2 Pro / WinME) bootloader lilo -> grub
  • From: Jerry Feldman <gaf@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 5 Feb 2005 11:26:55 -0500
On Fri, 4 Feb 2005 22:19:55 +0000
Mick Higgins <mickjh@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> 1. In lilo I always used the boot-floppy option so as not to upset
> WinME. How do I do something similar in grub?
Do you want to create a boot floppy?
You can use YaST to do this.

Here is the info page on GRUB. Note that stage1 is what gets installed
in the MBR of your hard disk (or floppy), and stage2 is what stage1
boots. Then stage2 boots the OS you want. In contrast, LILO must know
where the target OS is, so LILO's stage2 is actually the target OS
kernel.

Creating a GRUB boot floppy
===========================

To create a GRUB boot floppy, you need to take the files `stage1'
and `stage2' from the image directory, and write them to the first and
the second block of the floppy disk, respectively.

*Caution:* This procedure will destroy any data currently stored on
the floppy.

On a UNIX-like operating system, that is done with the following
commands:

# cd /usr/share/grub/i386-pc
# dd if=stage1 of=/dev/fd0 bs=512 count=1
1+0 records in
1+0 records out
# dd if=stage2 of=/dev/fd0 bs=512 seek=1
153+1 records in
153+1 records out
#

The device file name may be different. Consult the manual for your
OS.

--
Jerry Feldman <gaf@xxxxxxx>
Boston Linux and Unix user group