Re: [SLE] a good firewall?
  • From: Jerry Feldman <gaf@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 5 Feb 2005 14:34:17 -0500
On Sat, 05 Feb 2005 13:17:20 -0600
Henry Tang <henry@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Our company's sonicwall just died out and i need a firewall
> replacement. Sonicwall is really strange.. The sonicwall has two
ports
> wan and lan.. The wan is hooked up to the csu/dsu router and the lan
is
> hooked up to a hub for internal networks. The sonicwall is only used
> block ports but all computers in the lan, sonicwall, and csu/dsu
router
> uses static ip provided by our internet provider. It is really a weird

> setup which i don't approve of, but I need something that can do the
job
> like sonicwall. I dunno if it is possible.. I have a firewall at home
> but the lan is a internal ips 192.xxx
First, IMHO, I would not recommend a home-grown firewall for a business
unless that business maintains the expertise in-house. It appears that
your company is using frame-relay technology.
In any case, there are many good brands of commercial firewall
equipment. Boston User Groups was looking for a firewall, and did get a
Sonic Wall, and are happy with it so far. But, the Boston Linux Group
decided to keep our servers outside of the firewall.

--
Jerry Feldman <gaf@xxxxxxx>
Boston Linux and Unix user group