Re: [SLE] Boot Parameters
  • From: Darryl Gregorash <raven@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 06 Feb 2005 14:42:12 -0600

Ted Hilts wrote:

I would like to construct a "boot diskette or cd" in place of a Boot Manager (located by default in the MBR on the first hard drive but can be elsewhere) that will allow me to boot to one of several installations on the same machine.

For example, the SuSE boot CD can act as a "boot cd" and comes up with multiple choices one of which is "Boot to Hard drive" which it equates to /dev/hdb2 in my case because that is where I installed SuSE 9.1.

While this "interface screen menu" is up (10 sec's) and if I move down or up the menu items the timer stops and I can make one of several choices. Probably at that time I could provide a parameter to the boot prompt slot.

<snip>

Again reading from the *manpage* yields a clue:

" -b eltorito_boot_image
Specifies the path and filename of the boot image to be used when making an "El Torito"
bootable CD. The pathname must be relative to the source path specified to mkisofs. This
option is required to make an "El Torito" bootable CD. The boot image must be exactly the
size of either a 1200, 1440, or a 2880 kB floppy, and mkisofs will use this size when creating
the output iso9660 filesystem. It is assumed that the first 512 byte sector should be read
from the boot image (it is essentially emulating a normal floppy drive). This will work, for
example, if the boot image is a LILO based boot floppy.

If the boot image is not an image of a floppy, you need to add one of the options: -hard-disk-
boot or -no-emul-boot. If the system should not boot off the emulated disk, use -no-boot.

-eltorito-alt-boot
Start with a new set of "El Torito" boot parameters. This allows to have more than one El
Torito boot on a CD. A maximum of 63 El Torito boot entries may be put on a single CD."

Presumably, if we RTF[ine] *manpage* we may find further clues.