Re: [SLE] Can't upgrade firefox via APT
  • From: "Carl E. Hartung" <suselinux@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 07 Feb 2005 10:53:30 -0500

Trey Sizemore wrote:
| Yes, I had searched the archives and found that the most recent
| references to cpio/bad magic were about 3 years old. With a package
| like Firefox, I would assume others would be having issues as well
| (SUSE-specific) so thought I'd post to see if anyone else had seen this
| or perhaps there was a known workaround for this. I understand from
| google searches that this may mean corrupt media, but as I only see this
| with SUSE specifically, I posted to the list.

Hi Trey,

We must be using different Googles. My very first hit was:

http://www.alionet.org/lofiversion/index.php/t1098.html

It's in french, but the topic is this exact apt error on SuSE 9.2.
There were several others like them.

I think their solution was to try the download again and, if that
failed, inform the repository maintainer that the files were corrupted
(bad CRC.)

Incidentally, I heard about similar problems earlier today from another
poster Michel (from France) who reported segmentation faults and
permissions errors after installing some of the same packages.

~From Michel's post:
| |> For Firefox, no problem, it works but with warnings about write
| |> permissions,
| |> For Thunderbird I get a segmentation fault with the RPM and with the
| |> tar.gz !! So no Thunderbird and no RSS without addon software.

It could be some of these files have become corrupted. This would have
had to be quite recently, though. I upgraded Firefox four or five days
ago and I am having no difficulties at all.

take care!

- - Carl

- --