Re: [SLE] boot freeze and black screen
  • From: Thies Eggers <thies.eggers@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 07 Feb 2005 20:50:29 +0200
Thanks for the tip Sunny, that made the trick. Now my penguin is flying again. ;-)

Cheers from Finland,
Thies

Sunny said the following on 06/02/05 21:44:
On Sunday 06 February 2005 13:37, Thies Eggers wrote:
Dear list,

following problem prevents me from using my SuSE 9.1 Pro. :-( Yesterday
everything still worked fine ... no idea why not any longer.

My SuSE boots fine until the stage were the firewall reaches phase 3 of 3.
After this stage the screen goes black and nothings else happens. As far as
I remember should then the nVidia splash screen apprear and KDE start. But
nothings goes anymore.
I tried 'fsck' and 'reiserfsck' from the rescue system to see whether the
disks might be damaged but there seems to be no error on the harddrives.

Any ideas, what I might do? Is it just the graphic driver that doesn't
load? If so what to do to bring it back?

Thanks, Thies

You need to recreate a new nVidia kernel modules for the new kernel installed. Check if this helps:

http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=suse-linux-e&m=110771675821536&w=2

Sunny

--
Current location: 62.36N 29.45E
More or less ... and maybe somewhat close

http://teggers.duckburgers.com