Re: [SLE] backing up "proc" the directory - re Joe's reply
  • From: Ted Hilts <thilts@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 07 Feb 2005 17:32:41 -0700
Joe
Thank you for the very helpful information. I accept the statement you and others made about "proc". I will consider your remarks about including the "proc" directory and also your other helpful suggestions regarding populating "dev" and not backing up "sys". As far as I can see, I did a successful backup of SuSE "sys" directory. Thank you also for clarifying that my previous efforts on Slackware will not work on SuSE boot disks. I am trying to figure out how to create a universal boot disk or at least one that will contain information on all of my Linux systems so that one boot disk boots all systems.

Thanks very much, TED

Joe Morris (NTM) wrote:

Ted Hilts wrote:

Provision existed in a Slackware script to somehow plug into the boot disk file system the "/dev" and "/proc" directories.

For proc just provide the directory, i.e /proc. The kernel will populate it when it boots. /dev depends on other programs, i.e newer systems use udev which populates /dev 'on the fly' as needed AFAIK. Older systems had the device files already created, thus you could back them up.

Anyway, I was thinking that I needed the same directories if I were to manually create a boot disk for SuSE distribution and therefore wondered how best to move these two directories into the boot disk file system.

No matter what, you need the directories (i.e. /proc is the mount point for the proc filesystem, check fstab).

I have backed them up in the past as I mentioned.

As I said, depends on the age/programs on the system. /dev will be OK, /proc has infinite recursion and I don't believe you can back it up.

So regardless of what you and others say, it can be done because I did it once and lived to tell the story.

I noticed my backup program (storebackup) started hanging (md5sum running forever) recently. I had updated postfix (which I had forgot I chrooted). The new postfix included a proc directory, which I found out out was my problem. I had already excluded /proc. AFAIK, you cannot backup or cp /proc because there is no end.

< Previous Next >