Re: [SLE] Boot Parameters-- re Darryl
  • From: Ted Hilts <thilts@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 07 Feb 2005 18:19:49 -0700
Darryl

I read the man page before I posted.
I could not read from the man page or your "clues" the method or process of placing up to 64 alternatives. I don't want a Boot Diskette or CD for every machine -- I want one Boot Diskette or CD to use to boot up all my machines. This means every alternative could specify different machines as well as kernel modifications or even a different kernel as well as different Linux distributions. This makes the alternatives NOT relative to the ISO image on the Boot Disk. Your selection suggested to me that I cannot take a SuSE Boot Diskette or CD and use this to boot up another Linux machine -- just the machine from which the ISO was derived. In other words I cannot take the Boot Disk for machine #1 and use it to boot up machine #2. I can, it seems, provide alternative kernels as alternatives on the same machine, but that is not what I am looking at doing.

Thanks -- Ted

Darryl Gregorash wrote:

Again reading from the *manpage* yields a clue:

" -b eltorito_boot_image
Specifies the path and filename of the boot image to be used when making an "El Torito"
bootable CD. The pathname must be relative to the source path specified to mkisofs. This
option is required to make an "El Torito" bootable CD.
-eltorito-alt-boot
Start with a new set of "El Torito" boot parameters. This allows to have more than one El
Torito boot on a CD. A maximum of 63 El Torito boot entries may be put on a single CD."

Presumably, if we RTF[ine] *manpage* we may find further clues.

< Previous Next >