Re: [SLE] Linux and hardware mp3 players
  • From: jfweber@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 8 Feb 2005 04:50:23 -0500
On Tuesday 08 February 2005 12:47 pm, Randall R Schulz wrote:
> Brad,
>
> On Tuesday 08 February 2005 09:41, Brad Bourn wrote:
> > Good information. Sounds like you have more experience than me. I
> > haven't used an MP3 player that looks like a USB HD. I've heard
> > though that some of them that have this feature, still doesn't allow
> > you to add mp3's to the device to be played.
> >
> > What are you saying is debatable?
>
> Two things:
>
> 1) MP3 players should be usable as portable hard drives for general
> purpose computer use.
>
> 2) The FAT file system is a suitable basis for audio file storage on a
> portable, self-contained audio player.
>
> > Please correct me if I'm wrong, I'd like to know more myself...
>
> It's a big hairy issue and, of course, rather subjective. It regards
> users expectations as they often conflict with design considerations
> for these two classes of devices.

I agree wholeheartedly. I bought a Neuros, 80GB model ll and they are making a
great effort to allow opensource folks access to their data etc. There is
even Linux firmware. There is also, apparently , a problem w/ the current
production run of these.. as thier lists attest. The company is willing and
happy to offer as much help as they can.. the thing has a builtin fm radio w/
recorder as well as the ability to play oggs, and the usual wav, mp3 etc..
only problem for me was, the thing never seemed able to get fm radio to play
( not even w/ the "earphone antennae") in an area where I can pick up at
least 20 stations on my dental work, depending on which way I'm facing.! It
never recorded anything nor , for some odd reason would it actually copy
material to the hard drive of the unit.. and a drag n drop would copy the
song to the drive.. but it still wouldn't play.

Right now I don't have time to play w/ it. So it's being returned to sender
( seller ) and it apparently isn't the first, when I called for an RMA, they
asked me if these were the sorts of problems I was having. So, I'm still
looking for a lightweight, if posible high volume music player. Preferably it
will play oggs. but I shall suffer along mp3s if I must.

I'm putting on the B-mer Brothers
Would you mind putting on this grass skirt?

< Previous Next >