Re: [SLE] Linux and hardware mp3 players
  • From: Randall R Schulz <rschulz@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 8 Feb 2005 14:12:54 -0800
J.F.,

On Tuesday 08 February 2005 01:50, jfweber@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> Right now I don't have time to play w/ it. So it's being returned to
> sender ( seller ) and it apparently isn't the first, when I called
> for an RMA, they asked me if these were the sorts of problems I was
> having. So, I'm still looking for a lightweight, if posible high
> volume music player. Preferably it will play oggs. but I shall suffer
> along mp3s if I must.

The Rio Karma plays Ogg files plus WMA, FLAC and, of course MP3. It
plays WAV, too, if you're really into wasting space!. It has excellent
features, but no FM radio and "only" 20 GB capacity. And apart from the
Java code I mentioned, is not open. However, the capabilities supplied
by virtue of its having an Ethernet interface and that Java code is
considerable, so one could well make the case that it's an open design,
even if not entirely open source in the classic sense.

I've been very pleased with this player. It makes the the iPod look
pretty crude by (feature) comparison. The styling is not bad, either.

Check it out:
<http://www.digitalnetworksna.com/shop/_templates/item_main_Rio.asp?model=261>

Randall Schulz

< Previous Next >