Problems with GRUB and changing hard drives...
  • From: Clayton <smaug42@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 9 Feb 2005 17:49:30 +0100
Is there an easy way to swap hard drives with Linux?

Hmmm better clarify a bit. The computer has 3 hard drives and a CDROM
on the IDE controller. hda is a FAT32 Windows drive, hdb is a CDROM
and hdc and hdd are Linux drives. Linux (SuSE9.0) is installed on
hdc, and hdd is a Reiser formatted storage drive.

hdd needs to be swapped out with a new drive (not enough room on the
old hdd). So the hardware is swapped, and computer restarted... and
GRUB locks solid.

The only way we found to complete the hardware swap was to pre-edit
GRUB and then power down, swap hardware and power back on again.
There has to be a simpler way to do this... but we can't get past GRUB
locking up.

So... what is this easier way?

< Previous Next >