Re: [Fwd: [SLE] the directory "proc"] --Why I use Windows
  • From: "Randall J. Parr" <RParr@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 09 Feb 2005 14:41:53 -0800
Ted Hilts wrote:

You are correct, it is an "in progress" transition that is very hard to accomplish. As an example, I use a (windows only) web authoring tool called HotMetal Pro V6 on 3 MS XP machines and 1 Win95 machine. It was the last version of this web authoring tool some 2 years ago. It is a true and easy to use WYSIWYG web authoring tool with advanced features. I have been looking, as time permits for a reasonably close product for Linux and failing that for Windows but in these 2 years have found nothing so far that even comes close. I am currently looking at a Linux web authoring tool that comes with the SuSE distribution. I use many other software tools that even several years old still out perform what I can find on Linux. I encourage vendors towards a Linux solution and they ignore me.

I too find the lack of anything approaching a HotMetal Pro replacement
is one of the factors that keeps me and some of my clients tied to Windows.

I have searched and searched for a decent HTML editor. There are a lot
of source editors out there (eg Bluefish) but a real dearth of WYSIWYG
or semi-WYSIWYG editors. There are a few out there (Nvu, Mozilla
composer, Quanta) and I test them each time a new version comes out.
They're getting there but, you're right, none of them even come very
close to the "old" and "obsolete" HotMetal Pro. I went though another
round, just the last two days, of testing. Frustrating. Especially
because they are getting closer but, still, no cigar.

R.Parr, RHCE
Temporal Arts
Portland, OR U.S.A.