Re: [SLE] Boot Parameters -- Darryl G to the rescue
  • From: Ted Hilts <thilts@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 09 Feb 2005 17:15:27 -0700
Darryl
Do I hurry off to learn more about Boot Disks as this is just a "simple" exercise using Grub as some suggest -- one I am too dense to appreciate as others suggest? Or what? I'm too old to go back to school, I'll probably be dead before the next class graduates, if not that then certainly more dense than I am now.

Hope to see some feed back on the list on your considerations as they seem to echo what I want to do and some of the same concerns (valid or invalid). But maybe neither of us appreciate the 'simplicity' when done on GRUB. I'll admit that I can be dense but not just because someone says I am. I am prepared to gather the disk structure and other boot attributes (once I know what to gather) required to do this thing. I know very little about setting up GRUB other than the information in the SuSE reference manual. So maybe I do need to learn more about GRUB, but I'm willing to do that only if I can do this thing, That's what I am trying to determine.

I have too many people contradicting each other here and feel I need a working example that would settle the feasibility of doing this thing. Help is help only when it really helps solve the problem. There is too much of this "Go get lost and read about it at such an such a place". I don't have a trillion years to figure this out. And, I'm not the least interested in finding out WHY I cannot do this thing. That's why I want an example, (at least 2 machines with different OS). Oddly enough and if the issue is so simple, why has no one an example to provide me even though it is a "simple" chore for the boot informed -- which obviously I'm not because it does not seem simple to me -- but then I'm dense.

Thanks -- TED or Ted (whatever you prefer)

Actually, on first glance I believe that it can be done, but it is a very tall order, and unlike Sid, not one I would readily take on, for any fee. The only solution I can think of off the top of my head (and do note it is still very much just a vague outline of what might be possible, perhaps and maybe) is one which would require the user to make a choice at boot, based on which machine was being booted. That leaves a lot of room for error, particularly if there is a menu with up to 63 choices. I suppose you could use the menu titles to indicate which choice to make: "Fred's computer, Print Server, Gateway system" and so on, but still....

I'm tossing out this next thought solely for others to munch on, so please do not take any action based on it. I believe a possible solution may begin with the creation of a single boot floppy for each system you want to include on the CD or DVD. These would then have to be brought to one single system as disk images (similar to the bootdisk* files for doing ftp installs of SuSE), and subsequently written to a master CD/DVD image using the mkisofs -b and -eltorito-alt-boot options, perhaps also -no-emul-boot. The mkisofs commandline might look something like this:

mkisofs -o CD_image -c boot.catalog -b bootimage1 -eltorito-alt-boot -b bootimage2 ....

Anyone have any thoughts on this? I have absolutely no idea where -no-emul-boot would go in a scheme like this, and I am certainly not sure if only one -c flag is correct -- Google, anyone? :-).

< Previous Next >