Re: [SLE] Problems with GRUB and changing hard drives...
  • From: Darryl Gregorash <raven@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2005 18:53:28 -0600
Vince Littler wrote:

On Thursday 10 February 2005 12:30 pm, Clayton wrote:

<snip>
If hda is removed or replaced,

There's your problem. If it is removed, all the other drives will say whoopee and promote themselved 1 letter.
Are you absolutely certain of this? In DOS/Windows, it is true that the primary partitions all get lettered before extended ones, so the very first primary partition is always C:, and the next (unhidden) primary partition (usually a primary partition on the slave) is always D:

What I am not sure of is whether or not removing the primary master device will automatically promote the primary slave (if it exists, and assuming you could even get past the POST) in the BIOS tables, from device 0x81 to 0x80. But I do not think such a system would even successfully complete the POST.

However, I do not believe that Linux cares about any of this; my primary slave is right now redundant, and none of it is even mounted at boot. IIRC, I can remove it without affecting the designation of the CD device, is always /dev/hdc --certainly I have never had to change the link /dev/cdrom from hdc to hdb. This leads me to believe that devices are not promoted in the BIOS tables: the secondary master is always device 0x82 aka. /dev/hdc aka. (in GRUBspeak) (hd2)

The statement "hda is removed" is probably a mis-type; in the original post, the problem is in replacement or removal of hdd. In this instance, it does not even matter whether or not there is any promotion anywhere in other, potentially impossible, hardware configurations.

The cdrom cannot be /dev/hdb, only a real HD will take this designation. Some confusion of terminology here. How do you derive its name?

This I know to be incorrect, even in Win2K.