Re: [SLE] Problems with GRUB and changing hard drives...
  • From: Peter Nikolic <p.nikolic1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2005 08:59:34 +0000
On Wednesday 09 February 2005 16:49, Clayton wrote:
> Is there an easy way to swap hard drives with Linux?
>
> Hmmm better clarify a bit. The computer has 3 hard drives and a CDROM
> on the IDE controller. hda is a FAT32 Windows drive, hdb is a CDROM
> and hdc and hdd are Linux drives. Linux (SuSE9.0) is installed on
> hdc, and hdd is a Reiser formatted storage drive.
>
> hdd needs to be swapped out with a new drive (not enough room on the
> old hdd). So the hardware is swapped, and computer restarted... and
> GRUB locks solid.
>
> The only way we found to complete the hardware swap was to pre-edit
> GRUB and then power down, swap hardware and power back on again.
> There has to be a simpler way to do this... but we can't get past GRUB
> locking up.
>
> So... what is this easier way?

If your hdd is purley STORAGE and contains no programs needed in the boot
process edit /etc/fstab comment out the line that mentions hdd just put an #
at the start of the line you will then not interrogate that hdd on your
reboot ,

Or if it as it sounds you have the boot process looking at hdd then you are
going to have to reinstall grub to reflect the removal of hdd ..

On which drive is " /boot/grub located"

as has been said post your "/boot/grub/menu.lst " then we got a better idea
of where you gotten things pointing ..

Pete

--
If Bill Gates had gotten LAID at High School do YOU think there would be a
Microsoft ? Of course NOT !

You gotta spend a lot of time at your school Locker stuffing underware up
your ass to think , I am going to take on the worlds Computer Industry

-------:heard on Cyber Radio.:-------