Re: [SLE] Adding partitions
  • From: jfweber@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2005 04:28:28 -0500
On Friday 11 February 2005 11:33 am, Sunny wrote:
> On Friday 11 February 2005 10:19, Philip Washington wrote:
<snip>

> YaST/System/Partitioner. There, select the partition and hit Edit. In Mount
> point, type in the desired mounting point. Be sure to select "Do not
> format" !
> Then, click "Fstab options". In the "Arbitr. options" you can add this:
> gid=xxxx,umask=002
>
> where xxxx is the numeric ID for the "users" group. Or you can create a
> separate group in which you can put the users with write permissions for
> that partition, and replace xxxx with this ID.
>
> This will make this partition to be mounted on boot, with owner like
> root:users, and will allow members of group "users" to write in it.
<snip>
How well does this work w/ removeable disks? I have a 250gig firewire drive
which seems a waste of space as vfat. However it is easily and so far
( fingers crossed ) shows up *almost* immediately upon connection. It also
seems terminally stupid to have a drive that large, it has to slow down
searches, where the convention of partitioning breaking up the drive seems to
speed such things up.. or , I have had one too many mai tai's for lunch <G>

I'm putting on the B-mer Brothers
Would you mind putting on this grass skirt?
You see , it's Aloha Friday and I've got me this shirt ... ( song lyric)