Re: [SLE] Motherboard / Memory problems?
  • From: BandiPat <penguin0601@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2005 10:09:37 -0500
On Friday 11 February 2005 09:55 am, Anders Norrbring wrote:
> > > The MSI board states that: "Note: PC3200 (DDR400) maximum 4 banks
> > > only." How would I know how many banks there is?
> >
> > You need to get that spec from the RAM manufacture. Most Kingston
> > RAM uses 4
> > banks.
> >
> > > I'll do some experimenting with lower memory speeds, like setting
> > > it to 266MHz instead of 400MHz. A cheap and quick fix is a newer
> > > mobo,
> >
> > perhaps
> >
> > > with Nvidia's nForce2 chipset, apparently it's more tolerant with
> >
> > memories?
> >
> > A word of caution with RAM tuning. It's easy to enter a setting
> > that makes the
> > board completely unbootable which then requires a BIOS reset (don't
> > even ask
> > how I learned this) :-p
>
> Yeah.. I know that.. ;) The weird thing is that Memtest86+ verifies
> every bit of memory as correct, but still the Linux installer barfes
> with a Kernel panic at some point. I'm baffled.
>
> Anders.
==========

Anders,
You can also check with the memory maker for your ram. They should be
able to tell you whether the ram is usable in that motherboard/chipset.
From what you have described, it appears that the memory is not
suitable, since a single stick of 512Mb works without problems. I
don't remember if you mentioned the newer ram was dual channel or not,
but I'm pretty sure that chipset will not work with dual channel ram.

Check with the memory manufacturer, they can better tell you what their
ram will work with. Oh, each memory slot is divided into two banks, so
you have two memory slots, thus 4 banks of memory.

Lee

Registered Linux User #225206
"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being
run by smart people who are putting us on or by
imbeciles who really mean it." ...Mark Twain