Re: [SLE] Adding partitions
  • From: Sunny <sloncho@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2005 11:01:48 -0600
On Friday 11 February 2005 10:50, James Knott wrote:
> Sunny wrote:
> > On Friday 11 February 2005 10:19, Philip Washington wrote:
> >
> > This will make this partition to be mounted on boot, with owner like
> > root:users, and will allow members of group "users" to write in it.
> >
> > Sunny
>
> The problem with this, is that it requires giving root access to the
> users. Is this advisable?

By default only root has right to mount/umount partitions, or to edit fstab,
where this mounting information is stored. So the root is the one who should
make the initial setup.

Once the necessary entries in fstab are done, there is no need of root
password to access the partiton, if you follow the way I set it up.

If you have a remote access to that machine, and you are the admin, then you
can easily make these changes without giving the root password.

Sunny

--
Get Firefox