Re: [SLE] reiser or ext3
  • From: Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2005 22:31:42 +0100
devosc wrote:

> But in my bios I've enabled S.M.A.R.T, and I'm hoping that [a] there
> are no real conflicts, e.g. because one drive supports it and the
> other doesn't, because [b] I'm going to also enable smartd in YaST.

No need to worry, smartd will query the drives and determine their level of SMART support.

> I was told that ext3 has journalling stuff so as to help it recover...
> but then from a thread here I was under the impression that reiser may
> also do something similiar, in particular in response to a question
> about recovering from hard reboots.

Yes, ext3, xfs, reiserfs and jfs are all journaling file-systems. If you drive has genuine
problems, they won't help you recover any better or any faster, but a 300Gb JFS filesystem will
recover a lot faster from an unscheduled outage than a 300Gb ext2 ditto.

JFS is IBMs Linux-port of HPFS w/journaling from OS2 Warp Server, and as such it goes quite way
back.

/Per Jessen, Z├╝rich

--
http://www.spamchek.com/freetrial - sign up for your free 30-day trial now!