9.2 Re-Install Question 1
  • From: David Johanson <dcjohan@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 12 Feb 2005 18:18:00 -0500
During a SuSE watcher update this week, I lost the entire system and had to reload. Not all bad in that my 160GB drive that was never reachable in the previous install is now fully available. However, I am still experiencing SERIOUS delays in getting to the devices shown under /media.

First, here is my /etc/fstab

/dev/sda1 / ext3 acl,user_xattr 1 1
/dev/sda2 /boot ext3 acl,user_xattr 1 2
/dev/hda1 /windows/C vfat users,gid=users,umask=0002,iocharset=utf8 0 0 # 160 GB data drive
/dev/sda3 swap swap pri=42 0 0
devpts /dev/pts devpts mode=0620,gid=5 0 0
proc /proc proc defaults 0 0
usbfs /proc/bus/usb usbfs noauto 0 0
sysfs /sys sysfs noauto 0 0
/dev/sdb4 /media/zip auto noauto,user 0 0
/dev/cdrom /media/cdrom subfs fs=cdfss,ro,procuid,nosuid,nodev,exec,iocharset=utf8 0 0
/dev/cdrom11 /media/cdrom11 subfs fs=cdfss,ro,procuid,nosuid,nodev,exec,iocharset=utf8 0 0
/dev/dvd /media/dvd subfs fs=cdfss,ro,procuid,nosuid,nodev,exec,iocharset=utf8 0 0
/dev/dvdrecorder /media/dvdrecorder subfs fs=cdfss,ro,procuid,nosuid,nodev,exec,iocharset=utf8 0 0
/dev/fd0 /media/floppy subfs fs=floppyfss,procuid,nodev,nosuid,sync 0 0

And, this is how the file tree looks in Konqueror

+media
|- +cdrom # actual device in system
|- +cdrom11 # actual device in system
|- +dvd # actual device in system
|- +dvd recorder # actual device in system
|- +floppy # actual device in system but not being read
|- +floppy1 #?????????
|- usb-059B0030030531FC:0:0:0 #?????????
|- +usb-059B00300F18B25:0:0:0 #?????????
|- +usb-059B00300F18B25:0:0:0p4 # actual device in system (usb zip drive)
|- usb-073C06392A2C:0:0:0p1 # actual device in system (usb thumb drive)
|- xmms_audio_cd #???????????
|- zip #???????? unrecognized IDE ZIP perhaps

Clicking on the media folder in Konqueror takes between 20 and 25 seconds to open, all the while the system is frozen. Once the display shows all the icons for the various devices, clicking on one of those requires approximately 20 seconds to view. Again, in the interim, the system is frozen.

Doing exactly the same on my 9.0 box results in the devices being displayed immediately, so I'm thinking that this must be related, in some manner, to the new usbfs default in 9.2.

I am curious to know if anyone can explain the behavior I'm experiencing. The delays were present on the original install, but these new drives were not. I would really like to get the zippy behavior of my 9.0 box on this 9.2 box. And I am fully confused as to from where these other "devices" are being found.

All suggestions greatly appreciated.

dave

--
David C. Johanson