Re: [SLE] can't add installation sources?
  • From: "Carl E. Hartung" <suselinux@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 13 Feb 2005 02:24:56 -0500

<snip>
'http://packman.iu-bremen.de/suse/9.1/i586/'.
| Details: ERROR(InstSrc:E_no_instsrc_on_media)

Hi Steve,

This is the error message you get when YaST can't find required
directories and certain files.

Just so you know, a proper SuSE Installation Source isn't just any old
directory on any old ftp server... the directories are organized in a
specific layout and certain files have to be found in just the right
places for YaST's YOU and Install & Remove Software modules to recognize
and use them.

If you want to know what a proper source looks like, open up your DVD or
a CD in your browser, then check out the contents and layout at an
ftp.suse.com mirror. Just study the way things are organized there and
pay particular attention to subdirectories called 'yast-source'. :-)

Oh, and one final note: You also get that message if you've picked a
proper source but enter the path in YaST using leading or trailing
slashes (/). Example (don't try, just off the top of my head): server:
ftp.suse.com path: pub/suse/i386/9.2/yast-source <- this format works.
If you use 'ftp.suse.com/' or '/pub/suse/i386/9.2/' or any variation of
these, you get stuck with the above error message.

HTH & regards,

- - Carl

- --