Re: [SLE] find command
  • From: Randall R Schulz <rschulz@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 13 Feb 2005 08:31:58 -0800
Dan,

On Sunday 13 February 2005 04:22, Dan Am wrote:
> Am Sonntag 13 Februar 2005 04:23 schrieb Randall R Schulz:
> > However, for such simple invocations of find, you really should be
> > using the "locate" command. It's far faster, won't be restricted
> > from disclosing files in unreadable sub-directories and will be far
> > easier on your hard drives.
>
> Apart from these advantages, AFAIR the trouble is, that it
> updates "atime" on all files, which can mess up backups.
> That is probably, why it is not installed by default.

How's that? What modifies the access time? The cron job that builds the
database queried by the "locate" job?

That's certainly not true. Why would it (the cron job) read all the
files on your system? Naturally, it enumerates directory contents and
their access times get set when that happens, but so what?

And why would a backup program care about file access times? Naturally,
a newer modification time might cause a file to be backed up again (if
its contents actually changed) but backup software that tried to track
all access times would not be something I'd want to use.

> Regrds
> Dan

Randall Schulz