Re: [SLE] Re-Install Question 2 - SOLVED
  • From: David Johanson <dcjohan@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 13 Feb 2005 14:20:31 -0500

Darryl Gregorash wrote:

David Johanson wrote:

Well, while trying to make the system run more "smoothly", I elected to set log-in to auto, no password since it's a stand along system and I'm the inly user.

The autologin stuff is in /opt/kde3/share/config/kdm/kdmrc in the section marked "# Core config for 1st local display"

What do I need to do the regain control?

I'm no expert in autologin (never used it) but take a look at the last variable, AutoLogin1st. If that is set to false, it says you have to crash the X server in order to complete the login. If everything else is OK (you did mention a username to autologin, yes?) and this doesn't seem to be the problem, set things back to the defaults (which only requires commenting them all out) and restart.

Sometimes it's amazing what a good night's sleep and walking away from a problem can accomplish. Elected to start in verbose mode this morning which resulted in a text mode login. Given such, followed by "startx', got me back to where I had left off, at which point I returned to a normal login prompt boot.

Thanks Darryl.

dave

--
David C. Johanson