Re: [SLE] kernel compile question
  • From: David Robertson <derobertson@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 14 Feb 2005 22:18:46 +0300
is already on in this version, and cause problems down the road.

Is there a way to get the kernel options that are set in my current
kernel, so that when I go through menuconfig for the new kernel I can
ensure that everything that was set stays set, essentially
guaranteeing (to the best possible) that my new kernel is the same as
my old plus the additional support that I want to add?

I've googled, but I don't see anything addressing the issue of keeping
the current configuration while adding new functionality, except when
you're rebuilding a kernel from sources for a second time, and in my
case, my current kernel is the stock 9.2 pro one.

And thanks for taking it easy on me, still getting my hands around this...

The default configs for the suse kernels are located in /usr/src/linux/arch/i386 (assuming that /usr/src/linux points to the kernel-source, which will be the case with a default installation). Then if you mess up your configuration in some way you can restore the defaults with

cp /usr/src/linux/arch/i386/default/defconfig /usr/src/.config
make oldconfig

(substitute the appropriate "defconfig")

Once I have a custom config that I like (and that works!) I also save that somewhere.

HTH

David

--
Registered Linux User No 207521
The Linux Counter: http://counter.li.org/

"The above is my personal opinion and does not necessarily reflect that of the little voices in my head."