Re: [SLE] find command
  • From: "Carlos E. R." <robin1.listas@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 14 Feb 2005 21:41:27 +0100 (CET)

The Sunday 2005-02-13 at 13:53 -0800, John Sowden wrote:

> Thanks all for the find/locate help. I found locate (as was advised, it was
> under a different name), and ran updatedb as root, not user. I didn't see
> this reference in the man page.

Locate is named locate, as always. It is the rpm which has a different
name. However, using yast, or better, "pin", you could easily have found
"locate".

> It seems that the whole documentation issue for linux is lacking. The doc
> tells 90% of the story, and I end up going to the net search out that last
> 10%, including bothering all of you helpful people. As programs are written,
> or updated, a new type of doc should be created that is a superset of the
> other 3? (man, howto, info), so they become either irrelevant or very
> tercnnical for the more advanced user (e.g. man pages).

Agreed.

For example, check the man pages for ls in suse 9.1. The spanish page is
for version fileutils-4.0, dated november 1998, whereas the english or
default version comes from "coreutils 5.2.1", dated 2004.

The spanish version is not only outdated, but incorrect/incomplete.

That's quality control. :-(

--
Cheers,
Carlos Robinson