Re: [SLE] find command
  • From: Matt Gibson <gothick@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 15 Feb 2005 16:57:54 +0000
On Monday 14 Feb 2005 20:31 pm, Carlos E. R. wrote:
> The Sunday 2005-02-13 at 13:22 +0100, Dan Am wrote:
> > Apart from these advantages, AFAIR the trouble is, that it
> > updates "atime" on all files, which can mess up backups.
> > That is probably, why it is not installed by default.
>
> Not so. The issue is security: not allowing any user to know the names and
> locations of every file.

Indeed. If this worries you, make sure you run the updatedb as "nobody".
This can be set in /etc/sysconfig/locate with the normal SuSE package (and
may be the default, I can't remember.) It's the RUN_UPDATEDB_AS variable.
You can also set up various options for directories not to look into, etc.,
in that file.

This can be edited nicely with the "Editor for /etc/sysconfig files" in YaST,
of course.

"It's the small gaps between the rain that count,
and learning how to live amongst them."
-- Jeff Noon