Re: [SLE] mySQL startup problem
  • From: "Carl E. Hartung" <suselinux@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2005 22:02:54 -0500

Hi Bob,

It almost looks like ibdata1 and it's companion files were 'restored' to
your system from an archive created where a group called "daemon"
existed. The existence of these directories owned by a different group
may have bent the installation. You can try adjusting the ownership amd
group settings to match my setup. If this doesn't work, the changes can
be reversed.

- --> in /var/lib:

chgrp mysql mysql

- --> in /var/lib/mysql:

chgrp mysql ib_arch_log_0000000000
chgrp mysql ibdata1
chgrp mysql ib_logfile0
chgrp mysql ib_logfile1
chgrp mysql mysql
chgrp mysql mysqld.log
chgrp mysql test

- --> in /var/lib/mysql/mysql:

chown mysql *.frm
chown mysql *.MYI
chown mysql *.MYD

- -and-

chgrp mysql *.frm
chgrp mysql *.MYI
chgrp mysql *.MYD

- -then-

cd /var/lib/mysql
rcmysql start
rcmysql status (verify "running")

- -then-

mysqladmin -u root password "new password" (no quotes; create password)
mysqladmin -u root -h linux* password "new password" (ditto)
- --> *substitute the machine's correct host name if it isn't "linux"

- -then verify with-

mysqladmin -u root -h linux* -p extended-status
- --> *substitute the machine's correct host name if it isn't "linux"

/Please/ tell me it prompted you for the password this time and then
displayed the report? Good luck and I've got my fingers crossed!

- - Carl

- --