Re: [SLE] Linux still surfs slower than Windows
  • From: Chris Carlen <crobc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 19 Feb 2005 12:12:37 -0800
The problem is simply that the Linux boxes using Mozilla or Konqueror web browsers, surf the web ridiculously slow. Typically 45 seconds to load a page like www.cnn.com, and 10-15 seconds to load simpler pages like www.google.com.

The Win2k, both the real and virtual machines, all surf at instantaneous speed using either Mozilla or IE.

Additional point:

When I first set up to connect to SBC/Yahoo DSL, everything seemed fine and the web surfed at warp speed. Then suddenly one day things wound up like this.

I do not allow automatic YOU updating, and performed no manual update.

So I am deeply suspicious that SBC did something to their network, that now makes it not play well with Linux.

What is different about the way Windows vs. Linux hosts perform DNS lookups?

Good day!

--
Christopher R. Carlen