Re: [SLE] Linux still surfs slower than Windows
  • From: Regis Matejcik <rm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 19 Feb 2005 15:04:21 -0600
On Sat, 2005-02-19 at 12:12 -0800, Chris Carlen wrote:

> Additional point:
>
> When I first set up to connect to SBC/Yahoo DSL, everything seemed fine
> and the web surfed at warp speed. Then suddenly one day things wound up
> like this.
>
> I do not allow automatic YOU updating, and performed no manual update.
>
> So I am deeply suspicious that SBC did something to their network, that
> now makes it not play well with Linux.
>
> What is different about the way Windows vs. Linux hosts perform DNS lookups?

Interesting thought. We use SBC/Yahoo DSL here too. They were somewhat
uncooperative during our initial install when I told them we were using
linux. I ran a test with one of our Windows systems (one admin insists
on using Windows). I tested them both at:http://performance.toast.net/

The Linux system was almost 3 times faster. Of course it may be a bit
biased because the Windows system may be infested with all kinds of
malware.

Nonetheless, it doesn't seem like an SBC issue.

Regis Matejcik

< Previous Next >