Re: [SLE] SuSE 9.2 Can't wake up from blanked-out screen with Xmms
  • From: Vince Littler <suse@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 19 Feb 2005 22:07:34 +0000
On Saturday 19 February 2005 10:17 pm, Bryan Tyson wrote:
> Running 9.2 for about a week everything is working well so far except
> one oddity:
>
> When running Xmms, if the screensaver is allowed to come on and it
> remains idle long enough for the screen to blank out, tapping a key or
> moving the mouse will not wake it up. Xmms continues to play, but I
> cannot get back to my desktop. I just have a dark screen. What I have
> done so far is either ctrl-alt-backspace to restart X or ctrl-alt-F1
> and reboot from command line.
>
> So far I have only seen it happen while xmms is playing. In other words,
> any other time the screen blanks out, it wakes up fine with a key tap
> or mouse wiggle.
>
> Has anyone else seen such a behavior and does anyone have an idea for
> solving the problem? Also, what happened when the screen is dark? Did X
> crash or something? Is it the power saving?
>
> Thank you.
>
> Bryan

No idea as to what is going wrong or why, but if you have enough keyboard to
do ctrl-alt-f1, have you tried ctrl-alt-f7 back to your desktop and then try
to wake it up? Alternatively, have you tried any keyboard shortcuts for xmms?

I am wondering whether because xmms is running, it is putting itself too much
to the foreground and catching input meant for the screensaver.