Re: [SLE] how to start the gui?
  • From: BandiPat <penguin0601@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 19 Feb 2005 23:55:49 -0500
On Saturday 19 February 2005 11:41 pm, Steve Lett wrote:
> This is probably really dumb, but I'm obviously pretty much a
> newbie... I've only ever run SuSE linux and it always was starting
> the KDE gui. But now my big 20" monitor died, and in trying to change
> to a temporary 15" monitor, suddenly I find it only is booting up to
> a text screen prompt.
> I can login, and did so as root, then nothing else happens.
>
> How do I:
> 1. make it start the KDE gui like normal
> 2. make it stay that way. I'm lost at the command line for the
> most part.
>
> TIA
> Steve
>
> --

Steve,
Your scan range is most likely out of range for the 15" now, as the
settings are for the 20". You need to reset using sax2. Your X is
actually starting up, but just unable to display with the present
settings. The scan settings are out of range of the 15".

At the boot loader screen, type "init 3", so the computer will only boot
to the terminal. If you are already in the terminal/text only screen,
then:
1. Login as root
2. type "init 3" (to be sure X is not running)
3. type sax2 (starts the graphics setup)
4. make the changes or reset/check everything to correct the monitor and
scan settings. Check the monitor manual for Vertical & Horizontal scan
limits as you may have to enter them manually, if your 15" monitor is
not listed in the list.
5. Finalize, test, save, quit
6. Back at the prompt? Type "init 5" to start the gui

luck,
Lee

Registered Linux User #225206
Sign at college bookstore:
Accepted at more colleges than you were--VISA