Re: [SLE] Time synch problem
  • From: Randall R Schulz <rschulz@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2005 07:01:41 -0800
Hi, Carlos,

It seems you have some time on your hands...

On Tuesday 22 February 2005 05:07, Carlos E. R. wrote:

> Further adjustments for those without a permanent internet
> connection: tuning the hwclock (cmos).
>
> When the connection goes up, /etc/ppp/poll.tcpip does this:
>
> while true ; do
> set -- $(/sbin/runlevel)
> test -e /etc/init.d/rc${2}.d/S*xntpd && break
> test -x /usr/sbin/ntpdate || break
> checkproc /usr/sbin/xntpd &> /dev/null && break
> /usr/sbin/rcxntpd ntptimeset
> break
> done

It seems to me there's nothing to keep this loop from saturating the CPU
if none of the conditions that allow it to terminate are met. Perhaps a
"sleep" following the invocation of rcxntpd?

This brings up another thing I just learned recently:

SLEEP(1) User Commands SLEEP(1)

NAME
sleep - delay for a specified amount of time

SYNOPSIS
sleep NUMBER[SUFFIX]...
sleep OPTION

DESCRIPTION
Pause for NUMBER seconds. SUFFIX may be ‘s' for seconds
(the default), ‘m' for minutes, ‘h' for hours or ‘d' for
days. Unlike most implementations that require NUMBER be
an integer, here NUMBER may be an arbitrary floating point
number.

Note in particular the last sentence.

> --
> Cheers,