Re: [SLE] Alternative to lm_sensors?
  • From: Randall R Schulz <rschulz@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2005 10:19:15 -0800
Per,

On Tuesday 22 February 2005 10:07, Per Jessen wrote:
> Randall R Schulz wrote:
> > I've grown weary waiting for my mainboard's sensor chip to get
> > support in lm_sensors (from
> > <http://secure.netroedge.com/~lm78/newdrivers.html>: "A driver has
> > been requested, will be developped [sic] upon donation of a
> > board.")
> >
> > Is there any alternative to lm_sensors that does not leave us at
> > the whims of board donors and / or the proclivities of the
> > lm_sensor developer(s)?
>
> I don't know of anyone else doing this work, so the obvious option is
> - and you probably won't be particularly thrilled - write it
> yourself.

Yes, I'm aware of that option. It would be my first Linux kernel
programming, though once upon a time I did a good deal of Unix kernel
programming. Unfortunately, I have only one Linux system, and besides
its being a production system for a small business (very small),
single-computer development of kernel software is a very tedious
process...

> Alternatively, you start pestering Intel to make them provide a board
> for the lm_sensors people.

That hadn't occurred to me. Perhaps I'll give it a try. I wonder where
to start?

> > The board I have is an Intel D865PERL and the sensor chip is a
> > National PC87372 or PC87373 (I no longer recall which, but they're
> > apparently similar chips and are grouped together in the requested
> > sensor chip driver status table).
>
> If the datasheets for those chips are available, that's all the info
> you need. Which it seems to be:
> http://www.national.com/pf/PC/PC87372.html

Yes. I retrieved them several months ago when I first installed the
board and tried to get lm_sensors to work.

> /Per Jessen, Z├╝rich

Maybe I should just contribute the board...

Randall Schulz

< Previous Next >